CM Yogi terms Cop’s Murder in Bulandshahr an accident

Subodh Kumar Singh was shot in the head on Monday


Lucknow, Dec 7:  Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath described as an accident the death of police inspector Subodh Kumar Singh during the mob violence in Bulandshahr. His statement on Friday finally broke his silence on the issue after four days.

An undated photo of Police Inspector Subodh Kumar Singh. According to the officials, Kumar who was posted at the Syana Police Station died in the violence after a mob went on a rampage torching a police post and clashes with police in Bulandshahr on Dec. 03, 2018.

Singh was shot in the head on Monday. The mob, which according to the police FIR was formed of men from right-wing Hindu outfits, had also blocked cops from taking him for treatment and he had died before he could reach the hospital. Police has booked 90 men for the incident, naming 28 of them. The suspects include members of BJP Yuva Morcha, VHP and the Bajrang Dal.

However as per CM Adityanath it was not a case of mob lynching but an “accident,” he said, adding that everyone responsible will be punished and not be spared. The UP Chief Minister has already been criticized for his reaction to the mob violence, as he first attended poll rallies in Telangana and Rajasthan, and a laser show in Gorakhpur, before calling for a review meeting on the incident.

At the meeting too, he directed the police officers to nab the alleged cow slaughterers on priority, but was silent on the cop’s murder or the violence. Finally on Thursday he met the victim’s family, three days after the death, the meeting scheduled after he faced backlash for his inaction.

His statement contradicts the findings in the probe report prepared by the Additional Director General (Intelligence) SB Shirodkar still to be seen by the CM. It has called the violence a larger conspiracy, with the likely intent to clash with the Muslim procession passing through Bulandshahr-Garhmukteshwar State Highway on Monday.

The report clearly said that the biggest sign of the violence being a pre-planned conspiracy was that the cow carcass found at the spot, which was the trigger, was 48 hours old and was most likely not slaughtered in Sayana village as claimed by Bajrang Dal’s district head Yogesh Raj, who had in his police complaint stated that he witnessed the cow being killed.

It further said that the mob behaviour suggests that some in the crowd were deliberately trying to escalate the situation and ensure violence.

Meanwhile Meerut Zone IG Ram Kumar has stated that based on the statements of villagers, it has been found that the soldier, Jeetu Fauji, had allegedly fired the shot that killed the inspector. Kumar said that Jeetu, a resident of Mahaw village, is posted in Jammu and Kashmir and a police team has been sent to nab him. “After questioning him, it will be clear whether the bullet was his or not. At present, the team has gone to Jammu for taking him on the basis of doubt,” the IG said.

While Jeetu’s mother Ratan Kaur said she could not identify her son from videos of the mob attack, his relatives confirmed that he was present when the mob killing took place. They said he left for J&K soon after the incident.

Four people have been arrested so far for the murder of the police inspector, but one of the main accused – Bajrang Dal leader Yogesh Raj – is still at large.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *